Crews Ready to Begin Storm Repairs in Wake of Hurricane Dorian
As Hurricane Dorian began moving away from Carteret County this morning, more than 23,600 people lost power, but Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative (CCEC) storm crews, additional crews from Rutherford EMC and contract crews are poised to roll out and begin repairing damages.
“Once it is safe for the crews to begin repairing the system, they follow a plan designed to restore power to the greatest number of members in the shortest time possible,” said Communications Director Lisa Galizia. To understand how the restoration process works, click here.
Additional crews from other cooperatives are expected to arrive later today to assist. Outages and updates can be viewed here from Wi-Fi connected devices. Outages are reported to us automatically by members’ electric meters and our substation monitoring system.
When crews do begin work, safety will be the priority of the storm restoration team.
“The public can help with that by staying out of work areas and staying away from downed power lines,” Galizia said. “Power lines on the ground can still carry an electric current strong enough to cause serious injury or death.”
Here are some important safety tips to keep you safe around downed power lines.
If you see a downed power line, move away from the line and anything that may be touching it. Immediately call your electric cooperative/electric utility to make them aware of this hazard.
- If you see someone who is in direct or indirect contact with a downed power line, DO NOT TOUCH the person; call 911 instead.
- Do not attempt to cut limbs or debris from a downed power line. Do not attempt to move a line or anything in contact with the power line by using another object such as a broom or stick. Even materials like wood or cloth, if slightly wet, can conduct electricity and then electrocute you.
- Be careful not to put your feet near water where a downed power line is located.
- If you are in your car and it is in contact with the downed power line, stay in your car. Tell others to stay away from your vehicle and call 911.
- Do not drive over downed power lines.