Beware Callers Demanding Immediate Payment
CCEC warns its members of potential telephone scammers requesting immediate electric bill payment or face disconnection.
Two members – one business and one homeowner – reported receiving calls that they owed CCEC money and that someone would be at their location in 20 minutes to disconnect service. Fortunately, those members hung up and called us directly, not the number provided by the caller.
Protecting your personal information is extremely important to us. We will NOT call you to demand payment on a very short notice. If at any time you are suspicious of a caller claiming to be from the co-op, hang up and contact us directly at 252-247-3107 or 1-800-682-2217.
- Do not call them back on the number they give you.
- Do not give the caller a prepaid card, a wire transfer, or other form of payment that may be difficult for law enforcement officials to trace.
- Do not provide any personal information, account information or the like.
After calling us, we strongly urge you to report the incident to authorities.
- Contact your local law enforcement agency.
- Contact the NC Attorney General at http://www.ncdoj.com/Consumer.aspx (link is external) or call toll free within North Carolina at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM (1-877-566-7226)
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission at https://www.ftc.gov (link is external) or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).